- water spaniel
- nounany dog of two large curly-coated breeds used for hunting waterfowl• Regions:↑Ireland, ↑Hibernia, ↑Emerald Isle, ↑United States, ↑United States of America, ↑America, ↑the States, ↑US, ↑U.S., ↑USA, ↑U.S.A.• Hypernyms: ↑spaniel
* * *noun: a rather large spaniel that has a heavy curly coat and is adapted especially for retrieving waterfowl — see irish water spaniel
* * *either of two breeds of spaniels, used for retrieving waterfowl. Cf. American water spaniel, Irish water spaniel.[1560-70]
* * *(Irish) water spanielA (liver-coloured) spaniel for retrieving water fowl• • •Main Entry: ↑spaniel————————water spaniel nounA spaniel bred to retrieve waterfowl, the Irish water spaniel having a liver-coloured coat• • •Main Entry: ↑water
* * *water spaniel,a large spaniel with a heavy, curly coat, often trained to swim out for wild birds, such as ducks or geese, that have been shot down by hunters.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.